Monday, August 10, 2009

Day 1...Murray State (EO)

So this was my first official day on the job as an actual consultant!!!!!

Let's start with this morning. I woke up at 7am to get finished packing. We had decided to take 2 cars to take Brittany, Tara, Laura and Stef to the airport. My flight left later so I wasn't getting dropped off yet, and Jackie and Lauren were getting picked up later. So we split up in to two cars and did our first round of goodbyes. Let's just say I kind of freaked out!! Tears were pouring... it was AWFUL. Jackie and I went in the van to take Tara and Brittany to the airport. (Annie took Laura and Stef.) That was sucky too. Then Jackie and I drove back to Executive Office to meet Annie to go back to the aiport to drop me off:( On the way we called ReGe for a motivational pep talk.. which was definitely needed! We also called Julia to wish her a happy graduation! YAY

Anyway---then I went to the airport. I lugged my bags in (2 huge suitcases, laptop bag, and puma carryon) and went to the bag drop. I threw my bag on the scale.. 52 lbs. So I proceed to take stuff out. I get it down to 50. Bag #2, 52 lbs. I proceeded to take 2 lbs out and put it in my laptop bag which was already overflowing. Mind you, the puma bag wouldn't zipper shut and probably weighed 30lbs. O ya, and I had a sephora shopping bag that probably weighed 15 lbs. Needless to say, after walking from the baggage drop off to the security entrance, I was already exhausted! I got through security and walked to my gate and was literally dead tired. I actually didn't even make it all the way to my gate before I sat down because my bags were so heavy. Pathetic, right?

Basically, today I realized that I need to get rid of some of my stuff because I won't make it through the month at this rate! I had to buy a suitcase today (from Irene, super sweet lady!) in Memphis during my connecting flight because I couldn't hold it any longer.

O, I forgot: let me tell you about the 2 planes I road in today!

They were tiny little planes that I had to walk outside and climb up tiny stairs to get into the plane. I went from Atlanta to Memphis, Memphis to Paducah. The Paducah airport is one tiny building with 1 baggage claim. Look on facebook for pics. I took a ton!

I left my new bag of makeup and my wallet at this aiport. Luckily I was 1 of maybe 10 people that went through the aiport today. Lol. There were like 3 people that worked in the airport. They were super nice though! Great customer service for sure!


Anyway, I made it to Murray just in time to eat dinner with the recruitment team! They are all super sweet. We went to their suite after dinner to meet the rest of the Chapter and they sang and practiced pref etc. I'm still hanging out in the suite--it's 2 am eastern time.. which is 1 am central--the time zone i'm currently in. I went to bed last night at 2 and woke up at 7 so I'm not running on much gas. I am a bit tired..but I'm pushin through! I have a 9am breakfast meeting with the finance team! Gotta love my new life!!

2 comments:

jwickham said...

you seem to have a world of trouble getting through the airport...as i was reading your last post i envisioned you trying to walk fast through the airport. your luggage in you hand is taking what would be a sprint down to a struggling limped walk. every step requires more of a swinging of the luggage around the hip. you probably left most of your hair pins laying all over wherever you just were (instead of bread crumbs you just leave hair pins) so youre starting to have a hot flash and your hair is probably coming down and getting just enough in your face to be a nuisance, but your hair and the heat is the least of your worries with exactly 104 pounds of bags in your hands, of course 52 equal pounds in each making it just perfect not to be allowed on the plane. so you get to the bag check-in and don't even bother throwing it up there to see what the weight is because you alrady know. instead you set it on the ground in front of the scale; unzip both bags; and grab a make-up bag out of one and a pair of jeans and sweater out of the other. Then you manage to stuff them in your carry-on bag. now you have to walk around the airport with a bag where the weight is manageable , but the way everything was stuffed in there makes it awkwardly heavy and too uncomfortable to leisurely walk around the airport, but i guess that doesn't really matter because you.. *ding* "would ashley ehrman please report to gate 26, ashley ehrman please report to gate number 26" wait, at that airport they probably don't even have a dinger..its probably some guy standing on a pedestal ringing a big bell and yelling. and they probably don't even have to worry about last names, it's just "ashley, uh your plane is leaving" ..the plane is already moving so you have to sprint out on to the runway. probably dodging goats and old wooden crates, but it's okay a tenth of their passengers is running behind the plane so they have to stop and pick you up. now everyone headed to paducah, the capital of who knows where that is, will be late. ha random thought

Ashley said...

ha... you're funny! Loved the story!! That just became the best part of the day!